Originally a travel blog, but now an insight into all things Kate Trueman; running, fitness, food, travel & lifestyle...

Wednesday 20 April 2016

Running London

So previously I've taken a deep dive into my passion for running, now I'm going to tell you all about my love of running around London.

My commute to work everyday takes me on the Reading line to Waterloo and then I tend to walk from there to Tottenham Court Road, by Goodge Street where my offices are. I took baby steps, initially I ran to and from Waterloo a few times (just under 2 miles) and that worked but during rush hour I spent the majority of the time people dodging so it wasn't good as a stress reliever. 

Then I plucked up the courage to join my office Running Club which is run by a personal trainer, I didn't quite do it alone, I dragged along my dedicated pal and now excellent running partner Jason to join me. We were taken through the beautiful Regent's Park and into Camden and through the market. Safe to say I was hooked, I hadn't realised how close all these places were. I vowed to make use of my lunch hour to explore more. 


After several lunchtimes running around the Park, Running Club took us up the beauty and the beast that is Primrose Hill. If I'm honest, the first time I did in fact fail, my mental strength couldn't carry me to the top, next time I took Jason and we did it! So worth it for the amazing views across London.


From then on I decided running should play a key part in my commute. I was blaming the commute on not having time to do as much exercise, so why the hell not incorporate it. 

I decided to get 6.32am (earlier) train into Waterloo but get off at Clapham Junction and run in from there. I did have to carry a bag, always going to be a pain but I packed lightly. I set maps up in my phone and popped my earphones in which were able to direct me whilst running, as I didn't have much time for error. I ran through Battersea Park and crossed over one of the bridges and ran along the river towards Westminster before heading up towards work. I was blessed with the most beautiful sunrise and made a deal with myself to attempt to do this route once a week. 




After a few runs like this but extending the distance a bit, I wanted to explore different areas of London. I'd never done Hyde Park, so I thought why not. I did this last week and it was awesome for sightseeing but there were so many niggily bits it was more stressful than anything. I passed through Battersea Park, over Chelsea Bridge, into Chelsea and Kensington, past the back of Harrods, into Hyde Park and around the Serpentine and into work.




So much running and exploring to do! It's also great for finding tucked away restaurants, cafes, bars and good Summer picnic spots. 

What's stopping you, get out there and explore..

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment