Originally a travel blog, but now an insight into all things Kate Trueman; running, fitness, food, travel & lifestyle...

Friday 28 March 2014

Perth - first stop in Australia

We arrived in Perth around midnight and quickly caught a cab to Judi and Arthur's place in Karrinyup, which is North of the city. They were both away for the night so we used the spare key and went straight to bed. 

The next morning we woke up and headed to Karrinyup shopping centre for essentials. It was a longer walk that expected, 30 minutes. We did a bit of food shopping to get stuff for lunch in Woolworths (which is not at all like the British or the South African versions). It's different really, as there is no alcohol in the actual shop, you have to go to the liqueur store next door (we wanted to get Judi and Arthur a bottle of wine). 

We then head back and had sandwiches outside...



... before heading to the beach. Now this walk took us forever, maybe 45 minutes. My feet were killing me, remind me not to wear flip flops next time. But it was worth it when we eventually got there.






We didn't go swimming as by the time we eventually got there, it had started to cool down a bit, so Nath read his book and I people watched.


Schools must have then finished for the day as a surf lessons took place. 


That evening when we got back we sat outside and had a lovely BBQ outside with Judi and Arthur, followed by ice cream and fruit. Yum! 

The following day the weather was a bit pants, cloudy and no sun at all. So we decided to explore the city. We managed to find the backpacker area pretty quicky and it gave us some good ideas of things we could do whilst we are in Western Australia. We also managed to find a Juicing shop (very exciting as I miss my juicer), Java juice.



For lunch, we headed down to some gardens and ate our sandwiches.




After lunch we got the train to Fremantle (recommended to me by Griff, as his parents lived here for 2 years) and it was small but lovely and reminded me a bit of a Western film. Due to just a quick stop, we managed to miss the harbour that everyone recommends but we have plenty of time for that. We did find an awesome $10 shop (pretty much £5) and Nath bought a nice Levi shirt.

 
On our way back into the city we stopped by Cottesloe, which we read was a lovely beach area. And they weren't wrong, however we didn't see it in the best light as it was still overcast and very windy. First time, I had to put on my hoody.


Finally after a day of traipsing from place to place we got back to Perth and had a drink at the Skinned Grape in Northbridge, I had a lovely glass for Pinot Grigio from Margaret River (on our to do list) before heading back to Judi and Arthur's. 

Next day we retreated back to the beach, but unfortunately it was still overcast. This time we cycled.




I was quite chilly and my book wasn't occupying me so I collected lots of shells and formed a pattern on Nath's chest.


Even though it was ridiculously overcast and I was even chilly, we later discovered how burnt Nath has gotten, which we both found quite funny as I was lying there covered in towels as I was cold.

Finally we woke up the next day and the sun was shining. Obviously we headed straight for my favourite destination, the beach. 


With the sun shining, could this be more perfect? 


We were more aware today so Nath coated himself in factor 30 and wore a tshirt and a hat most of the time. This was finally the day where we also went swimming. It was cold to start with, but as soon as we got in, it was beautiful. We didn't really want to get out, until I swallowed a mouthful of water.


We felt altogether quite tropical, as we had bough watermelon along with our picnic. 

Once the wind picked up a bit, we headed to a sheltered, shaded area where we got our first treat, an ice cream (you've got to remember we are on a budget). 

Anyway, when we later got home we discovered Nathan had burnt again and I
Had not, despite me wearing half his factor. 


I realise this is an extremely long blog post. I will keep my future ones a bit shorter. 

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment