Originally a travel blog, but now an insight into all things Kate Trueman; running, fitness, food, travel & lifestyle...

Friday 5 July 2013

Hoi An


After a sweaty 4 hour bus journey we arrived in Hoi An and much to our relief (Phoebe (Mel's oldest friend) and Vanessa (Phoebe's friend from uni) who arrived a day earlier) a shuttle bus courtesy of the hotel we were staying in picked us up. We stayed at Sunflower Hotel, which is again is another popular accommodation choice for backpackers and it even has a pool and breakfast is included, what a choice! 

Hoi An is beautiful especially in the old town area has a very Italian feel to it. It is an area also renowned for tailor making anything you should so choose. 

On day 1, we rented some bikes for the day for the equivalent of 65p, which I'm sure you'd agree is pretty cheap and we headed to the beach. It was yet again beautiful, however I did not manage to get a photo. For dinner that evening we went to 'Shree Ganeesh', which is a suggested choice in my Lonely Planet Guide. The food was Indian, but not quite like the Indian restaurants at home. The food was ridiculously delicious and so fresh. I was also able to have a glass of red wine (finally), from the Dalat region of Vietnam. After dinner we decided to call it a night as we were so tired and we crashed by 10.30pm.

Day 2 took us to the tailoring shops and much to Nath and my (sort of) dismay sort of we spent HOURS there. I was planning on getting my graduation dress made but on visiting the shops I came to the decision it was far too stressful and hot, but this did not stop Mel!! Eventually we managed to pull her away and we headed to explore the old town, were we sampled some mangos in the market.


From here we headed straight to the other beach, which was even more perfect. I mean seriously, can they get anymore perfect. 



As the sun began to set, we noticed that some Vietnamese people were setting up wind barriers and little kitchens, so we went to explore. We tried a soup-like rice dish, with clams and chilli and it was rather delicious. 




But hungry still, we headed into the old town for dinner. Unfortunately I will disappoint in letting you know I did have a pizza, but it didn't disappoint me. We also all had, what Nath read as recommended, beer by the glass which came to 18p a pint, pretty impressive. 



Day 3, in pictures.




Tomorrow evening, Nath and I will leave Hoi An by the night bus to Nha Trang! 


No comments:

Post a Comment